Friday, September 25, 2015

Nora Carroll- The Color of Water in July

This is a new-to-me author and I had the opportunity to read an ARC from NetGalley for my honest review.  The book summary sounded interesting and like a good end-of-summer read.  

I had a hard time getting captured by this story and I kept reading, in hopes that it would grab me.  I did enjoy how the book would go from Jess in present time, to Mamie, to Jess growing up.  I did NOT like Jess's boyfriend Ross!  He rubbed me the wrong way and I hated how she knew he wasn't it for her, yet she stayed.  Jess wasn't weak, but in the relationship department she was.  At least in the beginning she appeared to be.  

Around Chapter 9, I felt like the book started to capture my attention a little more. The story began taking off and we learned more about Mamie's past, her sister Lila and a younger Jess as well. All their stories finally intertwined and the importance of the past affected the future. However, the way this book ended was kind of a let down. I guess I expected a little more to the story when the pieces of the puzzle came together. But I definitely didn't see all of that coming.  And what happened to poor Jess when she was younger. 

This book was okay but it was hard for me to get through. I hated that it didn't capture me and hold my attention.  The summary sounded so good but this book fell flat for me. 








It's been a long seventeen years since Jess last saw her grandmother or visited the family cottage set on an idyllic lake in Northern Michigan.  For all that time, she's been haunted by loss- of her innocence and her ability to trust and, most of all, a profound summer romance that might have been something more.  So when her grandmother leaves the house to her, Jess summons her courage and returns to a place full of memories- and secrets.

There, she stumbles upon old letters and photographs of a time not so much forgotten as buried. As she begins to unravel the hidden histories of her mother and grandmother, she makes a startling discovery about a tragic death that prompted her family's slow undoing.  With every uneven and painful step into the past, Jess comes closer to a truth that could alter her own path- and open a door to a different future.

No comments:

Post a Comment