Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge

So I've been trying to read Eeny Meeny by M.J. Arlidge for awhile now.  I received an ARC of it through NetGalley and it sounded very interesting. I had a hard time getting into it and never could get myself to keep reading it. I knew the archive date was coming up and I HAD to read it so I finally forced myself to continue on with it.  While I was on vacation this weekend, I read on the plane and some at night.  Well, I finished it last night on my way home.  It was rather disappointing.  Here is my review:

I had a hard time getting through this book. I think part of it was the way the ebook came through my reader. At times, it was as if the next sentence was a completely different thought or it started a new paragraph about a different set of characters but there was nothing in the editing to warn you of the change. So as I read it, I had to stop and figure out what was going on. Very distracting. The premise of this book was interesting, but I didn't feel like the book itself lived up to the summary. I love British writers and mystery thrillers but this one was just weird. Towards the end, part of it was gross. Now, the one thing I liked was the fact there was no way to see it coming. The killer was well veiled throughout the story, then once we find out who "SHE" is, there isn't much time spent on the why. It just felt disjointed. 

I really had high hopes when I requested this book and was sad that I had to force myself to read it.  I don't like leaving books unread and even if I didn't have the deadline on it, I would have gotten it done.  I hope the editing is different once the book actually releases, otherwise it's very distracting and makes for a confusing story at times. Apparently this book is the start of a sereies and I would maybe give the author another try with the next book before I completely wrote him off.   Helen's life sounded intriguing and could have potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment